Are you looking for a new challenge? Looking for a chance to make a difference? Australian Doctors International (ADI) needs you!
As the COVID-19 cases continue to climb in Papua New Guinea – our closest neighbour, Australian Doctors International (ADI) is one of the few organisations at the forefront of providing health support, PPE and medical supplies to the people of PNG.
The Australian Government has recently deployed an AUSMAT team to PNG, and ADI are looking for doctors ready to take the next step and explore this career opportunity to work alongside PNG healthworkers and achieve great health outcomes for our neighbours in PNG.
Being a volunteer doctor with ADI you are responsible for providing medical treatment, staff education and outreach support in a rural setting. You will work as part of a multidisciplinary team providing clinical and preventative healthcare services across remote health centres and aid posts. The patrols are conducted by boat, four-wheel drive or aircraft and last up to two weeks staying in local guest houses, villages and health facilities. The primary focus for the ADI doctor is to build the clinical capacity of rural health workers through case-based and group training whilst on patrol.
In this role you’ll have the opportunity to improve the quality of health care in low resource settings while testing the limits of your own training. An interest in tropical medicine or rural health is an advantage. You’ll have the support of the local PNG health teams while on patrol and the ADI head office during your placement.
WHERE ADI WORK
ADI has worked in Western Province of PNG since 2002, New Ireland since 2011 and West New Britain since 2019. We work where there is an identified health need and where we can partner with local healthcare providers to reach out into their most remote communities. We take a two-prong approach towards working for a healthier PNG:
- Providing free Clinical Services and health education in schools for remote communities
- Providing training to upskill local Healthcare Workers with the eventual aim of no longer being needed in the regions we work.
SOME OF THE WHAT WE COVER DURING YOUR DEPLOYMENT
In recognition of the costs involved in volunteering, we offer the following financial support to help offset expenses:
- A generous accommodation, living and food allowance while on deployment in PNG
- Economy class flights within Australia and New Zealand to the Sydney office for briefings
- Vaccinations and anti-malaria medication
- Laptop, Satellite phone and safety gear for use when in PNG
- One return flight from Sydney to PNG
- Travel Insurance
WHAT EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS YOU WILL NEED
- Minimum four (4) years post-graduate experience, including primary health care experience
- Minimum MBBS (Australia) or equivalent from New Zealand, PNG, UK, Ireland, Canada or Singapore
- Current national medical registration
- Current resident of Australia
- Experience providing medical services in remote and rural areas
- Experience in clinical teaching and/or mentoring
- Experience or interest in tropical medicine
Please apply online through Ethical Jobs or Seek Volunteer via the links below:
If you would like to learn more about working in PNG, please call our office on (02) 9907 8988 or email email@example.com using the subject line: Volunteer Doctor – Papua New Guinea enquiry via EthicalJobs.
We look forward to answering any questions you may have about this amazing experience. Call us today to get started!